Employer: Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage Trust
Location: Solwezi Road, P O Box 11190, Chingola, Zambia
Function: Technical Assistant in Education
Preferred Hours: 6 days/week, 8 hours/day
Salary: To be negotiated based on experience
Benefits: Organization is providing accommodation at Chimfunshi, water from boreholes, and electricity from solar panels (cut at 18:00)
Supervisor: Executive Director of CWOT (ED)
Key relationships: Teachers, Administration Officer, Technical Assistant in Education (TAE)
Length: Minimum 1 year, to start as soon as possible.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: 31 December 2022
The Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage Trust, is a small charity in Zambia. The CWOT is one of the largest and oldest chimpanzee sanctuaries in the world, with 150 chimpanzees rescued from the illegal bush meat/pet trade around the world. Along with our duty to rescue chimpanzees in need, CWOT works to protect local Zambian wildlife with their rescue, rehabilitation and release into protected areas. We support 70 families– more than 400 people, including 150 children. Every year we educate and raise awareness of over 2,000 children and we have around 35 schools in the Copper belt region that come to visit CWOT to teach the next generation about protecting wildlife in Zambia.
The Education Technical Assistant will assist the Education Manager in properly implementing, monitoring and evaluating classes and education at Chimfunshi. He/she will develop, energize and implement education programs and activities under the direction of the Executive Director. The aim is to enable children in the community, visiting classes and out-of-school children to access quality education in a protective environment.
At Twampane School:
- Observe and advise the pedagogical methods and educational postures of the Chimfunshi’s teachers to ensure that they respect our ethical education agreement written by our organisation.
- Propose educational tools related to the different grades.
- Supervise and animate, in collaboration with the teachers and EO, extra-scholar clubs (e.g. Art club, Music club, Game club, Conservat
- on club) every week and throughout the school year
- Supervise and evaluate, in collaboration with EO, the teachers under the CWOT
- Propose specific assistance for children who have scholarly difficulties
- Develop and Facilitate lessons/activities within the Conservation as agreed with schools/as per the circulated timetable and the lesson plans or programmes
- Animate English classes for adults with the collaboration of the teachers during the evening, to target our staff, and the communities who live in Chimfunshi.
- Promote a specific support policy for raising awareness, training and integrating girls, strengthening the position of women, as part of the strategy for integrating the gender dimension in the education and training
At Education Centre/Eco-tourism:
- Work to implement our education goals and make alive our Chimfunshi’s Education Global Project.
- Organise punctual events and conservation pedagogical activities in the education centre, in collaboration with EO (inspired by the Nationals and internationals days, primates’ day, and pangolin’ day…)
- Organise and animate “Nature’s Camp”, during each period of holidays (it’s a programme mixed with theoretical and practices about the key conservation concepts) with the teacher’s and EO’s collaboration
- Ensure that an inventory of all conservation education equipment and requisites is maintained
- Be responsible for the timely submission of monthly reports and any other reports/documentation requested
- Oversee taking school bookings and shop sales as well (occasionally)
- Assist in organising workshops and awareness campaigns concerning their priority needs (e.g. sensitization about deforestation and development of green combustible such as green charcoal…)
- Develop eco-tourism content in collaboration with the ED and EO
- Supporting international children’s education to meet European standards, developing lessons on daily basis to complete the education of 2 foreign Children (Grades 3 and 5) focusing on writing, reading and mathematics in English.
- Teamwork: Cooperate, support, and work well with others to achieve project goals. Share information and contribute effectively to CWOT objectives and solving problems.
- Initiatives: Pro-active, energetic, and self-starter. Recognise and discuss new opportunities, report, and address problems promptly. Maintain effective communication with management, project partners, and stakeholders
- Flexibility: Adaptable, resourceful, and receptive to new ideas; willing and able to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Integrity: Honest, reliable, and maintaining high ethical standards. Show respect and fairness when dealing with others
- Higher education diploma (Teacher diploma primary or secondary or at least Bachelor level in the required field of expertise).
- A teacher in activity in the 1-year break can be a plus.
- Being a special education teacher can be a plus
- Be open-minded, tolerant, and flexible. Indeed, the Zambian realities aren’t the same as the Occidentals ones.
- Being comprehensive will be necessary to raise the education project of Chimfunshi and relate to the local needs.
- Have a sense of listening, observation and benevolence with Children in need
- Good communication and networking skills.
- A very good level of oral and written English, and an operational level of French are a plus.
- Mastery of common IT tools.
- Reporting skills
OTHER SKILLS NEEDED
- Strong leadership and excellent interpersonal skills
- Be willing to ride a bicycle covering long distances
- Speak and write good English and Bemba
- Have a good level of general office administration and computing ability
- Be a positive role model for the youth of the area
- Be results-oriented and hard-working
- Always act responsibly in environmental matters
- Show respect and care for all wildlife
- Be creative and Dynamic
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and a cover letter with your background to:
Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org