CONSTRUCTION VOLUNTEER ROLE OVERVIEW
Role: Construction Volunteer at Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage Trust (CWOT)
Organization: Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage Trust
Location: Solwezi Road, P O Box 11190, Chingola, Zambia
Function: Construction Volunteer Worker
Preferred Hours: 5 days/week
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: Unpaid Volunteer Work – accommodation is provided and the flight ticket will be refunded after the completion of the volunteer project.
Length: 6 month minimum
Supervisor: Executive Director of CWOT
Key relationships: General Manager, Workshop Manager
Deadline: 15 December 2022.
Support, assist and advice the Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage Trust (CWOT) construction team for their different projects throughout the year.
The Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage Trust, is a small charity in Zambia. The CWOT is one of the largest and oldest chimpanzee sanctuaries in the world, with 150 chimpanzees rescued from the illegal bush meat/pet trade around the world. Along with our duty to rescue chimpanzees in need, CWOT works to protect local Zambian wildlife with their rescue, rehabilitation and release into protected areas. We support 70 families– more than 400 people, including 150 children. Every year we educate and raise awareness of over 2,000 children and we have around 35 schools in the Copper belt region that come to visit CWOT to teach the next generation about protecting wildlife in Zambia.
DUTIES OF THE CONSTRUCTION VOLUNTEER
- Designs of the current and future projects (technical and economic aspects)
- Assist with the scheduled maintenance of all infrastructures
- Guaranteeing that all projects are going according to plan and concerning the timeline in place and deadlines
- Maintenance and management of the construction tools (accounting, budgeting, follow- ups, planning, etc.
- Working with the Project Manager to improve technical, organisational, and management aspects of the construction team and projects
- Helping to find financial and material support for the various construction projects the CWOT is working on
- Ensuring that communications between Management, keepers, and the construction team are efficient
- Corporate fundraising: To research, prospect and approach national corporations, either current or non-suppliers, for partnership
- Book-keeping and following schedules of infrastructure and equipment
- Inventory of material and equipment
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
We are always looking for dedicated, hard-working volunteers to improve the lives of the animals under our care!
Regarding the different tasks the volunteer will be involved in and as a construction professional, he/she needs knowledge/skills in:
- General construction work techniques (structures design, masonry, concrete, carpentry, metalwork, welding, painting, electricity, plumbing, etc.)
- Management of construction projects (budgeting, economic, technical following-ups
during and after construction)
- Interpersonal relationship as this position involves working with a team in a multi-cultural environment and can be asked to represent the Centre in front of companies or administration
- Computer work (Office Suite and if possible 2D/3D sketching, video, etc.)
- Knowledge of photovoltaic panels and boreholes is a plus
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN
As a CWOT volunteer, you will be able to play an active role in conservation by helping to care for 150 chimpanzees who have fallen victim to the bush meat and pet trade. In addition, in rural areas of Zambia, the situation is precarious for people living in remote areas, so you will play an important role in improving the conditions of infrastructure development for the community. You will work in a multicultural environment and be resourceful given the sometimes challenging, but exciting, local context in terms of quality and availability of materials. It is a unique experience to take part in an adventure by doing your job by helping in a difficult environment but also by learning the stakes of conservation and the development of community well-being.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV with a cover letter with 3 references to the Executive Director,
firstname.lastname@example.org and General Manager email@example.com